Hello! I’m Jen Overbeck and I’m a Naturopathic Doctor. I’ve worked in the Grand Rapids community for the past four years and have gotten to know many amazing clients and professionals. I’m working on something (top secret) that I’m so very excited about that I can’t wait to share with all of you! But, until the time is right, I’m going to reengage and reconnect on a personal level.
I have two amazing children and two dogs. I know without a doubt, I will feel love every time I am home with them. My daughter is my biggest cheerleader and source of motivation. She’s five years old and has such an empathetic heart combined with some sassy confidence and real leadership skills. My son is three, and he makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy when he smiles or speaks. He’s a (little) bit quieter than my daughter, but full of ideas and creativity.
I completed my undergraduate education at Aquinas College and completed Naturopathic Medical at Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine. I returned to Grand Rapids after my daughter was born to come home to my family and the community I care so deeply about.
For real though… things have felt super intense and crazy all over lately, haven’t they? I’ve been searching for meaning, for how this all makes sense and we can gleam positivity out of all this uncertainty. If you’ve figured it out, please comment below!!! What I keep coming back to is trying to focus on the things I know for certain:
- I believe in medical and personal choice. When it comes to YOUR health, I believe you should have a thorough understanding of what is going on, as much as possible. The more you know, the better you can take care of yourself and the people you care about. You should feel free to ask questions and have them answered. How can you know the best route to take if you don’t truly understand what is happening? Once you feel clear, then you can start to evaluate the next steps.
- I believe that it doesn’t have to be so confusing. There’s so much conflicting information everywhere you look that it can feel overwhelming and discouraging. When I feel overwhelmed, I talk it out with someone knowledgeable and that I can trust. I seek sources that will simplify it to the basics and then build from there.
- I believe we are all doing the best we can, even when sometimes what we are doing doesn’t seem to make much sense or like it is positive. We all go through things and times that we’re just not able yet to make better choices.
- I believe we all need a support system. Sometimes we feel supported by a significant other, a friend, family, community, a doctor, a therapist, gym friends, book club, hairstylist, website designer, etc. Sometimes we don’t really feel supported at all by anyone. If you don’t feel you have support, find it! If you don’t know how, reach out!
- I believe community is important: Over the past year, I have gotten to know my neighbors and spent more time with my family and friends. I’ve met other business owners and found out that they know a whole lot about things I want to know and vice versa! I’m working on bringing together a network of professionals that provide services that can help you achieve your goals, whether those goals revolve around your health, finances, personal development, etc. Aren’t they all connected? I believe so.
So, I’ve written this as a form of therapy, as well as to share a bit about my thoughts about where I’m going moving forward. I’m working hard to create something that is unique and can be truly impactful in our community. I believe in love and respect and kindness. I believe we all possess an innate ability to heal. We just need to give ourselves what we need and to eliminate that which is no longer serving us.